We believe that caring for orphans and vulnerable children is a mandate for the global Body of Messiah and one of the purest expressions of the Gospel. HaTikva Families equips families to respond to the OVC (orphan and vulnerable child) crisis in Israel through adoption and foster care and encourages the Israeli Body of Messiah to take a leading role in this effort.
Children in Israel Today
- 1 out of every 6 children is considered at-risk, resulting in 367,000 at-risk children in the country.
- Over 10,000 children have been removed from their homes by the Ministry of Welfare – only 25% are in foster care, the other 75% are housed in institutions.
- Over 1,000 orphans live in government institutions.
- Approximately 300 newborn babies are abandoned in hospitals across the country every year.
- Couples wait an average of 5 years to adopt a child and only 120 successful adoptions occur each year.
“Take up the cause of the fatherless…” Is. 1:17
What We Do
- Research – we conduct research to direct our efforts in impacting the lives of orphans and vulnerable children.
- Advocacy – we advocate for a permanent home for every child.
- Awareness – we raise awareness for the plight of orphans and vulnerable children and the need for foster and adoptive families.
- Recruitment – we recruit families to host, foster, and adopt. We recruit families and engage local congregations to support foster and adoptive families. We recruit volunteers to support current OVC care programs.
- Guidance – we guide families through the application process to host, foster, and adopt and refer them to the relevant Authority.
- Equipping – we equip families to host, foster, and adopt through an extensive training course on trauma-informed care.
- Support – we provide ongoing social and financial support to host, foster, and adoptive families.
- Partnership – we partner with other organizations in the field so that our collective efforts will have greater impact.
We are a dynamic team of professionals from the field of public health and social work dedicated to working together on behalf of orphans and vulnerable children in Israel.